Kidsafe and Mister Minit have partnered to create awareness of the danger that Button Batteries can cause if swallowed.

Mister Minit is one of the biggest retailers of Button Batteries in Australia and New Zealand. Our commitment is to help inform the community of the dangers that button batteries can cause. Button Batteries are found in a number of household items as well as Car keys, Remotes and watches. At least 20 children per week present to hospital after swallowing or insertion of button batteries. Prevention is critical, alerting customers to keep button batteries out of reach of children which can save a life or prevent a severe injury.

We are committed to reducing the incident and impact of unintentional injury caused by Button Batteries and look forward to educating our customers in communities we serve in all over Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia.

Button Batteries – A Little Known Risk

We use electronic devices every day without giving them a second thought. However, did you know that there is a hidden danger inside many of these devices that poses a serious risk for children?

Powerful coin-sized button batteries are found in many common household devices. Children often have easy access to these devices and many parents/careers are unaware of the dangers as many devices come with the batteries already installed.

If swallowed, button batteries can become stuck in a child’s throat and burn through the esophagus in less than 2 hours. This burning can lead to serious injury requiring surgery, or death.

In Australia, around 20 children a week present to an emergency department with a button battery related injury – that’s over 1,000 children every year. Children under the age of 5 years are at the greatest risk.

To prevent button battery related death and injury:

  • Look for devices in your home that contain button batteries
  • Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure
  • Keep button batteries locked away out of the sight and reach of children
  • Dispose of old button batteries immediately and safely – for more information on safe battery disposal, please visit the Australian Battery Recycling Initiative website
  • Tell others about the dangers and share these steps

Urgent Action is Needed

If you think a child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, don’t wait for them to show symptoms. Call the Poisons Information Centre urgently for expert advice on what to do, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 13 11 26.


Signup for our monthly email containing special offers, handy hints & tips and updates on our new services.